[lsb-discuss] Feature request: way of identifying the precise lsbcc version

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Apr 22 11:57:27 PDT 2010

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> We have a big, complicated distributed build system, and sysadmins who
> are not part of the development team. Sometimes mistakes can happen in
> who gets told about which upgrades, and sometimes people make mistakes
> in changing the build configuration. Since our products are libraries,
> delivered as
> binaries, unknown changes in build configurations can be a
> real problem;
> if problems show up at customers' sites, they often aren't good at
> explaining their linking problems.
>
> So the build system checks machine configurations before it
> starts work
> each night: it asks the OS and compilers what version they are, pulls
> together all the compiling and linking options, and so on, and generates
>
> a text file. It compares this with the master version of that
> file saved
>
> in each built tree, and if they don't match, it refuses.
>
> On Linux, lsbcc is part of the build system. But it doesn't have a way to
> ask it its precise version. Something like this would do nicely:
>
> $ lsbcc --lsb-cc-version
> lsb-build-cc-4.0.1-1

hmmm, I thought it was supposed to do this as part of the existing
version option before passing control on to gcc.  but it doesn't
seem to; one problem is that as lsbcc is built now it doesn't necessarily
know its own version.  Seems like something like this ought to go into
the feature tracker, yes.