[lsb-discuss] OpenMP

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Fri Aug 13 13:59:13 PDT 2010

On 08/13/2010 04:45 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> Scott Baeder wrote:
>
>> ... now I'm guessing that there is also a run time library?
>
> There is. I asked about OpenMP support a while ago, and it emerged
> that the run-time library is compiler-specific.

Yes, it is. Every compiler that I am aware of (gcc, Intel, Portland
Group) ships their own version of an OpenMP library. I have not done any
analysis to see if there are interfaces that are similar/ the same
across these libraries.

> That was considered
> a problem with supporting it in the LSB at the time.

Not only are the different libraries an issue, further OpenMP is a
specification of keywords, the implementation is completely left up to
the compiler. As the LSB is an interface standard there is not really a
good match to specify OpenMP in the standard.

Robert

Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert at novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One