[lsb-discuss] GCC version too new for LSB 4.0?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Dec 28 06:02:39 PST 2010

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> As a footnote to my previous email, I also tried building Qt
> 4.7.1 against the latest LSB 4.1 candidate on a Fedora 14
> machine. I see the following in the build logs after every compiler
> invocation:
>
> unrecognized gcc version: "4.5.1"
>
> I take it that the LSB packages don't yet support such a
> recent version of GCC? Any likelihood of this changing soon? I
> know Fedora 14 is not LSB certified (indeed, none of the
> Fedora's are), but that should not prevent the LSB packages
> from the linux foundation from being used to do code development at
> least.

Mechanically it's a trivial change.  Physically the check
is there because every now and then gcc improves something
that we need to figure out and catch, for example the
automatic and silent switch to defaulting to hash-style=gnu,
which generated binaries that didn't work on dynamic linkers
that didn't yet know about the new format.  Another case
was the stack protector code is forced in or not.

It's tracked in bug 3101, which at the moment is scheduled to
be fixed in the next SDK release, not the one which is concurrent
with LSB 4.1's release.