[lsb-discuss] Adding dependency on "lsb" causes huge downloads

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Wed Feb 24 11:24:59 PST 2010

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Chromium recently tried switching to using a dependency
> on 'lsb' ... and it pulls in everything under the sun, even
> an MTA.  This caused our users to yell.  We're reverting the
> change.
>
> One of the goals of the 'lsb' dependency was to make
> life easier for developers, but when our users yell at
> us for using it because it causes all sorts of possibly
> harmful crap to be installed, that's not making life easier.

Yes, there is an argument for a mor modular version of the LSB,
unfortunately we have not been able to crack that nut in a sensible way.
But we are always open for suggestions.

We will talk about this again at the LSB F2F on Monday and Tuesday prior
to the FL Collaboration Summit in SF in April.

Robert