[lsb-discuss] Looking for a list of distributions that are LSB 4.x compliant

Craig Scott audiofanatic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:39:44 PST 2010

Perhaps I can add some incentive for LSB 4.0 certification then. ;)

Among a variety of other things, my company (CSIRO) develops
scientific software. We use SuSE internally and have a mix of
SLES/SLED 10 and SLES/SLED 11 machines. In my particular group, we
rely on the Qt toolkit heavily and have a need to use more recent Qt
versions than the LSB supports (we use some of the features in newer
versions). This isn't necessarily an issue though, since recent Qt
versions can be compiled directly with LSB compilers from LSB 4.0 or
later. Thus, we can ship our own LSB compliant Qt libraries with our
software as long as the target machines meet LSB 4.0. So this is a
real world example of why LSB 4.0 compliance matters even on SLES 10.

To be more specific, LSB 4.0 certification is a much bigger deal than
3.x certifications for ISV's like us precisely because of the direct
support for it in the Qt package. Although I've been keeping an active
eye on the LSB for a number of years and have shaped our development
path to be open to creating LSB-compliant packages should we wish to
at some point, the lag in Qt within the LSB has been the main reason
we have held off. With the ability to build our own preferred Qt
version and still ship a LSB-compliant package, the main thing now is
waiting until mainstream distributions catch up and certify for LSB
4.0. Looking at the current distribution table (URL in an earlier part
of this thread), it would seem that there's an opportunity for
distributions to differentiate themselves by providing LSB 4.0 support
since plenty still don't. As an ISV, that makes it easier for us to
recommend a particular distribution to clients when they support LSB
4.0 and we need that as a minimum! So while I can't commit us to
certifying for LSB 4.0 at the moment, this should demonstrate a
necessary part of us (and maybe people like us) being able to
seriously consider it.

--
Dr Craig Scott
Team Leader, Computational Software Engineering, CSIRO (CMIS)