[lsb-discuss] mcheck.h and arpa/nameser.h do not exist in LSB libc

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Jul 1 05:09:26 PDT 2010

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> On 07/01/10 14:31, shompola at bredband.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation! By the way, slightly off topic. I should
>> never include the linux header files from glibc-devel such as types.h
>> as then it will clash with these supplied by lsb, right?
>>

> Yes, collisions may occur in such cases (though not necessary - it
> depends on content of particular header).

in general, since LSB headers are searched first, inclusions will
"fall through" to native headers if there isn't a corresponding
LSB one.  Sometimes this is a problem, sometimes it isn't... but
we can't exactly expect you not to install native -devel packages
if you otherwise need them (non-LSB context).

In the case you cite, configure has correctly decided not to use
the headers since they did cause problems - and that's the result
you wanted, so it was all ok, eh?

This becomes trickier if you don't use an autoconf style tool to
probe what works and what doesn't.