No subject

Wed Jun 2 16:03:53 PDT 2010

rational decision. It is expensive to test an application to begin with,
and if one has to test an application on 3 different implementations of
the same specification, plus potentially various dot versions, the
testing cost quickly becomes prohibitive. Thus ISVs pick one Java
version and vendor and stick to it. This implies that even if we get
Java into the LSB many ISVs will probably still require "their own
version" of the JRE. The underlying issue of this is of course that
despite being Java certified each implementation behaves differently.

In short there is no nice clear cut solution to the Java problem and
from an LSB point of view we'll be burdened to deal with this for a long
time to come.

Robert