[lsb-discuss] LSb Java

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Mon Jun 7 07:14:34 PDT 2010

Hi,

George's query about Java poked me to finally take some time and look at
the LSB build of Java in OBS (openSUSE Build Service). As the Java
source has move forward and the current project i slinked to the latest
Java build the patches created via the GSoC (Google Summer of Code) no
longer apply. Not really a big surprise.

I took a look at the patches to see if I can figure out a few things
here or there to make this work. As I was looking at the patches I
realized why the previously discussed comment "patch set is not in shape
to be accepted upstream" was made.

While the patches has some good improvements it also creates build mode
of openJDK to be LSB compliant. New header files are being created, LSB
specific definitions, and lsb header file, etc. This does not reflect
what I think we should have done and thus I am not really surprised that
the patches would not be accepted upstream.

The goal of the GSoC project was in my mind to make openJDK LSB
compliant and NOT, add a mode in which I can build openJDK in an LSB
compliant way. These are quite different goals and the GSoC produced a
way in which one can build openJDK in an LSB compliant way. This leaves
us with patches we most likely cannot push upstream.

The "create a way to build openJDK LSB compliant" way is indicated by
various #ifdef uses in the patches and a specific lsb directory. These
are not necessary if the build is LSB native rather than a mode.

Part of the work applies to making openJDK LSB compliant, but a good
chunk of the work falls into the second category (LSB build mode of
openJDK).

IMHO moving forward in this state makes little sense and we need to
figure out a better way to get where we want to be.

Robert

Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert at novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One