[lsb-discuss] posted into a s390 ML -- a lament; was: zPDT usage

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jun 16 08:17:28 PDT 2010

I mentioned this in the call today ... no action item, just a
bit of sadness as I posted it

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:17:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>
To: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390 at vm.marist.edu>
Subject: zPDT usage

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:

> Anyone using or plan on using "IBM System z Personal Development Tool"
> (or ITC zPDT)?

> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247721.html?Open

hmmm; new text

>> Starting with the E41.18 release of zPDT (spring 2010) the
>> 1090 installation process checks for specific Red Hat and
>> openSUSE indicators and is not installable if one of these
>> distributions is not detected. [4]

 	at page 24

and a footnote indicating some other distributions may pass
the tests (so a test seemingly looking for text strings,
rather than any needed library feature; shame shame) --- Is it _so_
hard to look for the LSB features, and so let ALL LSB
compliant distributions run?

As I recall, the pricing was hard to justify for the
Community distributions, such as CentOS, where I toil

-- Russ herrold