[lsb-discuss] posted into a s390 ML -- a lament; was: zPDT usage

Helbling, Douglas E douglas.e.helbling at intel.com
Wed Jun 16 09:27:23 PDT 2010

Pardon my ignorance ... I've been a lurker here for ages, and a regular consumer of all your fine LSB works, but I am confused about the state of reality regarding this comment:

>and a footnote indicating some other distributions may pass
>the tests (so a test seemingly looking for text strings,
>rather than any needed library feature; shame shame) --- Is it _so_
>hard to look for the LSB features, and so let ALL LSB
>compliant distributions run?
>
>As I recall, the pricing was hard to justify for the
>Community distributions, such as CentOS, where I toi

Is there an existing "look for LSB features" test of some kind available now?  Is it something that could be extracted and reused easily as part of other commercial or open source software products/projects?  In the work I have done to construct supposedly LSB-compliant RPMs, I've added lsb component prerequisites to the RPM SPEC files.  But I would not mind a packaging-independent alternative (one that is also not Debianese).  All clues appreciated.

- Doug Helbling