[lsb-discuss] posted into a s390 ML -- a lament; was: zPDT usage

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jun 16 10:06:11 PDT 2010

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Helbling, Douglas E wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance ... I've been a lurker here for ages,
> and a regular consumer of all your fine LSB works, but I am
> confused about the state of reality regarding this comment:

>> herrold earlier:
>> and a footnote indicating some other distributions may pass
>> the tests (so a test seemingly looking for text strings,
>> rather than any needed library feature; shame shame) --- Is
>> it _so_ hard to look for the LSB features, and so let ALL
>> LSB compliant distributions run?

> Is there an existing "look for LSB features" test of some
> kind available now?  Is it something that could be extracted
> and reused easily as part of other commercial or open source
> software products/projects?  In the work I have done to
> construct supposedly LSB-compliant RPMs, I've added lsb
> component prerequisites to the RPM SPEC files.  But I would
> not mind a packaging-independent alternative (one that is
> also not Debianese).  All clues appreciated.

wow.  LSB marketing silently sheds a tear.  ;)   I'll let then
chime in as to particulars.  If they don't in the next day or
two, I'll supplement my remarks.  Please ping me here with a
reminder if you want such after that interval expires

Executive summary: There sure is, available over time, durable
in form, and readily queried on any distribution certified as
conformant to the LSB at a particular level

Here on a Intel based 64 bit box:

[herrold at centos-5 admin]$ /usr/bin/lsb_release
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-noarch

[herrold at centos-5 admin]$ /usr/bin/lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: CentOS
Release:        5.5
Codename:       Final

Note the Debian influenced arch nameing  ;)

------------------

on a s390x:

[root at ibm herrold]# /usr/bin/lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-noarch:core-3.1-s390x:graphics-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-s390x
Distributor ID: CentOS
Release:        4.4
Codename:       Final
[root at ibm herrold]#

------------------

Each represents it is [and is in fact in all respects, save
one deviation not material in practice and known only to the
LSB issue tracker ;) ] conformant to the LSB standard at the
LSB API 3.1 level

These particular builds have not been submitted to the LSB by
the CentOS project or me (the particular s390x build in
question is not a formal part of that project, but is rather a
side effort all my own on resources donated by IBM and CentOS,
using publicly available Red Hat and CentOS source packagings
and local buildscripts and knowledge. see:
 	http://dev.centos.org/~herrold/builds/s390x/00README ) for
'formal testing' for reasons out of scope here.  I'll add an
IA64 effort as well, shortly

-- Russ herrold