[lsb-discuss] LSb Java

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Thu Jun 17 03:18:58 PDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 01:42 PM, Alan Clark wrote:
> From 'poking' around the code were you able to get a feel for how difficult it will be to make openJDK LSB compliant?

Sorry, no. I do not know the openJDK code base and from looking at the
patches it was at time a bit difficult to determine what we could push
upstream and what is an artifact of the LSB build mode.

Robert

> -Alan

> Schweikert <rschweikert at novell.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> George's query about Java poked me to finally take some time and look at
>> the LSB build of Java in OBS (openSUSE Build Service). As the Java
>> source has move forward and the current project i slinked to the latest
>> Java build the patches created via the GSoC (Google Summer of Code) no
>> longer apply. Not really a big surprise.
>>
>> I took a look at the patches to see if I can figure out a few things
>> here or there to make this work. As I was looking at the patches I
>> realized why the previously discussed comment "patch set is not in shape
>> to be accepted upstream" was made.
>>
>> While the patches has some good improvements it also creates build mode
>> of openJDK to be LSB compliant. New header files are being created, LSB
>> specific definitions, and lsb header file, etc. This does not reflect
>> what I think we should have done and thus I am not really surprised that
>> the patches would not be accepted upstream.
>>
>> The goal of the GSoC project was in my mind to make openJDK LSB
>> compliant and NOT, add a mode in which I can build openJDK in an LSB
>> compliant way. These are quite different goals and the GSoC produced a
>> way in which one can build openJDK in an LSB compliant way. This leaves
>> us with patches we most likely cannot push upstream.
>>
>> The "create a way to build openJDK LSB compliant" way is indicated by
>> various #ifdef uses in the patches and a specific lsb directory. These
>> are not necessary if the build is LSB native rather than a mode.
>>
>> Part of the work applies to making openJDK LSB compliant, but a good
>> chunk of the work falls into the second category (LSB build mode of
>> openJDK).
>>
>> IMHO moving forward in this state makes little sense and we need to
>> figure out a better way to get where we want to be.
>>
>> Robert

Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert at novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One