[lsb-discuss] LSb Java

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 07:13:26 PDT 2010

Robert Schweikert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> George's query about Java poked me to finally take some time and look at
> the LSB build of Java in OBS (openSUSE Build Service). As the Java
> source has move forward and the current project i slinked to the latest
> Java build the patches created via the GSoC (Google Summer of Code) no
> longer apply. Not really a big surprise.
>
> I took a look at the patches to see if I can figure out a few things
> here or there to make this work. As I was looking at the patches I
> realized why the previously discussed comment "patch set is not in shape
> to be accepted upstream" was made.
>
> While the patches has some good improvements it also creates build mode
> of openJDK to be LSB compliant. New header files are being created, LSB
> specific definitions, and lsb header file, etc. This does not reflect
> what I think we should have done and thus I am not really surprised that
> the patches would not be accepted upstream.
>
> The goal of the GSoC project was in my mind to make openJDK LSB
> compliant and NOT, add a mode in which I can build openJDK in an LSB
> compliant way. These are quite different goals and the GSoC produced a
> way in which one can build openJDK in an LSB compliant way. This leaves
> us with patches we most likely cannot push upstream.
>
> The "create a way to build openJDK LSB compliant" way is indicated by
> various #ifdef uses in the patches and a specific lsb directory. These
> are not necessary if the build is LSB native rather than a mode.
>
> Part of the work applies to making openJDK LSB compliant, but a good
> chunk of the work falls into the second category (LSB build mode of
> openJDK).
>
> IMHO moving forward in this state makes little sense and we need to
> figure out a better way to get where we want to be.
>
> Robert

Is it required that LSB requires the provision of a LSB compliant
JRE/JDK binary?
Should LSB not just require that a JRE/JDK that conforms to the JAVA
standard is available and provides a sub set of JAVA command line
options. As all JAVA software will only be using the JAVA VM and
libaries, it does not care if the JRE is LSB compliant.
What use case requires the JRE/JDK provided by a distro to be LSB compliant?

Regards,
Chris.