[lsb-discuss] Linux wireless GSoC 2010 project ideas

Frederic Weisbecker fweisbec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:43:52 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:51:59AM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> No problem for students to suggest topics. We are not restricted to
> wireless in terms of kernel. We support kernel projects in general.
>
> Please give your suggestion as answer to this e-mail, doing "Reply to
> all", as I am not a kernel export, the other participants of this thread
> should have a look at the student's project ideas and help finding
> mentors.
>
>    Till

Ok, I hope it's not too late.
Here is one subject that I would like to apply for:

= Improving tracing in perf events / ftrace =

Using trace events under perf events is still a young feature
and needs various improvements.

- Syscall events can carry only raw values and addresses.
We need to make them "aware" of strings and structures contents
from userspace.

- Make function / function graph tracers usable by perf

- Optimize tracing fast-path

- Improve perf tools to better handle trace events scalability

- Provide new perf tools that exploit trace events (scheduler
  migration analysis, etc...)

- Implement a per context excluding (eg: exclude irqs, exclude functions, etc...)

- There are always things to do there.

Of course, each of these elements require a lot of work,
so not all of them can be done in two months, and some
of them can be started already before the summer.