[lsb-discuss] Java - there you go

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Oct 14 19:33:07 PDT 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> So we remove the Java "trial use" portion now - is that
> your proposal?  Comments?

As I mentioned in this week's call (and perhaps six weeks ago
when the Google suit was then fresh and the matter was
discussed in that earlier call), it seems to me it is out of
4.1 and following, and not to return, pending some ability to
have a test suite for defining a conforming java
implementation; and an ability and set of tools to evaluate is
a given propose Java application is constraining itself to
using only interfaces contained with a java conformant to taht
text kit.

I understand that 'people want it'. the customers Kaye has
surveyed want it, and so forth -- heck, ** I want it **, and
use a Java, and would prefer it was FOSS and within the LSB --
but I would also like a pink pony, and a fine Scotch every
evening to calm my nerves.  It is not gonna happen soon, or
ever

As a practical matter, this puts a couple years of delay into
a java into LSB, but frankly the arguments of two years ago
for not including it, before it went into 4.0 still apply, and
sadly have come to reality

The 'trial use' java inclusion has to go at the next point
freshen

-- Russ herrold