[lsb-discuss] LSB AppChecker reporting failures

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Sep 20 23:02:11 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:53:39AM +0000, Suresh Pamidipati wrote:
> Hi Denis,
>
> Thanks for the information. I installed the RPMs on my machine and then selected them in the "Installed Packages" tab in AppChecker. This has resolved the RPM checks errors. Earlier I was selecting the RPMs from "Files and Directories" tab in AppChecker without actually installing them.
>
> Thanks,
> Suresh.

Current Fedora and RHEL6 default to using sha256sum's and not md5sum. in
addition they use xz compression and not bzip2 for the cpio archive

> RPM tags check failed         Failures 52
>
> Messages from the test:
>
> Incorrect RPMTAG_ARCH: expecting i486 or noarch but found i686
>
> LSB RPMs should be built for i486 arch - for example, you should set the following field in the spec file:
> BuildArch: i386

Fedora and RHEL6 default to building 32 bit intel optimised for i686
this gives performance increases.while not supporting ancient hardwareas
long as the hardware has cmov it should be supported

> RPM dependencies check failed Failures 712
>
> Messages from the test:
>
> Unexpected dependency /bin/bash
>
> LSB-compliant RPMs should only depend on 'lsb', no other dependencies are allowed.

Distro auto dep requires would add that for a shell script with a
shebang of #!/bin/bash

> RPM archive check failed      Failures 36
>
> Messages from the test:
>
> Invalid RPMTAG_PAYLOADCOMPRESSOR: expecting gzip but found bzip2
>
> You should use gzip compression.

Fedora and RHEL have not used gzip for a long time. we were using bzip2
but have moved on to xz

Just trying to give some distro perspective on why you would see these
types of issues using a distros rpm with its defaults.

Dennis