[lsb-discuss] LSB AppChecker reporting failures

Mats Wichmann mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Sep 21 00:13:56 PDT 2010

On 09/21/2010 07:02 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

>> Unexpected dependency /bin/bash
>>
>> LSB-compliant RPMs should only depend on 'lsb', no other dependencies are allowed.
>
> Distro auto dep requires would add that for a shell script with a
> shebang of #!/bin/bash

an LSB "conforming" script would have to use /bin/sh

> Just trying to give some distro perspective on why you would see these
> types of issues using a distros rpm with its default

yes, it's well known that some distros have "moved on".  LSB
is at this point lagging somewhat behind, although it continues
to try for a "common denominator" that is moderately old
(roughly speaking, RHEL5 is the baseline right now since
RHEL6 isn't released, it sort of ping pongs with SLE releases).
That's not exactly the way features are determined, but close
enough form a working description.  Current versions of
"community" distros can be pretty different, e.g. I'm not
sure whether the initscript scheme still makes sense in
the face of both Fedora and Ubuntu having moved to new
init implementations.