[lsb-discuss] LSB AppChecker reporting failures

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Sep 21 00:28:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:13:56AM +0100, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 07:02 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>
> >> Unexpected dependency /bin/bash
> >>
> >> LSB-compliant RPMs should only depend on 'lsb', no other dependencies are allowed.
> >
> > Distro auto dep requires would add that for a shell script with a
> > shebang of #!/bin/bash
>
> an LSB "conforming" script would have to use /bin/sh
>

> > Just trying to give some distro perspective on why you would see these
> > types of issues using a distros rpm with its default
>
> yes, it's well known that some distros have "moved on".  LSB
> is at this point lagging somewhat behind, although it continues
> to try for a "common denominator" that is moderately old
> (roughly speaking, RHEL5 is the baseline right now since
> RHEL6 isn't released, it sort of ping pongs with SLE releases).
> That's not exactly the way features are determined, but close
> enough form a working description.  Current versions of
> "community" distros can be pretty different, e.g. I'm not
> sure whether the initscript scheme still makes sense in
> the face of both Fedora and Ubuntu having moved to new
> init implementations.

Fedora 15 will have systemd which is nothing at all like the traditional
sysvinit.  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd it was
slated for F-14 but deemed not quite ready.

with Community Distros being the basis for tomorrow's Enterprise Distros
i think that LSB needs to at least try and keep up with whats going on.

Dennis