[lsb-discuss] /srv

Mike Seda maseda at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:51:43 PDT 2011

Hi All,
I'm currently trying to decide on a mount point for storing data for
applications such as Git, Apache, Cobbler, and Puppet. Best practices is
what I'm shooting for here. /srv seems to be the best place (based on
FHS). Although, /data seems to be what more shops tend to go (or stick)
with.

What I'm trying to avoid is something that I refer to as "root-sprawl",
which is the continuous addition of directories onto the root of the
file system, e.g. /data, /scratch, /projects, /apps. I've always seen
this as a bad thing, but am I wrong?

I just wanted to get a feel for what others are doing.

Regards,
Mike