[lsb-discuss] A Modest Proposal for Solving the Packaging Problem

Dan Harrison nixscripter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 14:50:18 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
> wrote:

> Dan, perhaps you should become an LSB contributor more
> directly, you seem to have thought of many of the tricks
> that the project did, always useful to have people who are
> on the same wavelength :)

I'm quite surprised that was already in there. When I read the spec (a
little too fast), all I saw was "RPM version X, or certain other compatible
options". If my suggestions have been taken already, then I guess I don't
quite see what the problem is with .deb conversions.

As for my contributions, I have already done some work with Jeff on the ALSA
test suite, but it wasn't quite clear where to go after that. I have been
reading the list, and most of the stuff seem to require more background than
I currently have. It's hard to just pick something from the outside looking
in.

Do you have any suggestions?

As a random thought, I saw something about a "hard copy book that needed
updating" with directions for packaging, the implication being that the
documentation is either out of date or fragmented. When I was building an
LSB compliant compiler (just to try), I used just such old and fragmented
documentation, and had to do a lot of guessing.

If the main difficulty with that book is information gathering from people
who know stuff -- as opposed to actually having to invent something new -- I
would be curious about doing that.

--
Dan Harrison