[lsb-discuss] /srv

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Apr 23 18:03:55 PDT 2011

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Jeff Licquia wrote:

>> What I'm trying to avoid is something that I refer to as "root-sprawl",
>> which is the continuous addition of directories onto the root of the
>> file system, e.g. /data, /scratch, /projects, /apps. I've always seen
>> this as a bad thing, but am I wrong?

I recently provoked the filing of a FHS bug by the Fedora
people as they need a root filesystem directory (i.e., as
early as possible) for the 'systemd' dependency driven
replacement for traditional SysV initscripts.  While /srv
resonates with me, /data seems a more 'neutral' name for the
directory as mobile devices and laptops are really the use
case systemd solves

That is, servers do not want services deferred in starting, as
they are (hopefully) deployed to address a defined profile.  A
mobile device may be moving from one upstream path to another,
adding and dropping bluetooth devices, and adding and having
removed datastick stores ... thus: /data

-- Russ herrold