[lsb-discuss] bzr.linuxfoundation.org is live

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Dec 8 13:38:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Jeff Licquia <licquia at linuxfoundation.org>wrote:

> We've made bzr.linuxfoundation.org live.  Although there are likely to
> be details that still need to be worked out, none of those details
> should affect our ability to continue development on projects.
>
> Access to bzr projects is divided roughly into three types: the
> unofficial branches, commit/push access to project branches, and
> read-only and browseable access.  We'll take those in reverse order.

> Commit/Push Access
> ------------------
>
> This is very different from before.  PQM is gone, as is SSH access.
> Instead, read-write access is enabled via a new HTTPS interface.
>
> When you want to make changes for pushing upstream, start with a
> checkout of the branch over HTTPS, like so:
>
> bzr checkout https+urllib://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/lsb/devel/fhs-spec
>
> The "+urllib" part is important; bzr can use curl for Web access if it's
> available, but the curl client does not work for authentication.  The
> "+urllib" part tells bzr to never use curl.
>
> You will be asked for your username and password.  This is the same
> username and password you use to access other Linux Foundation services.
>
> Access control is basically the same as it was before; if you had commit
> access to a branch before, you should have it now with the new system,
> using the same username as before.

After poking at exactly two branches I was already sick of having to enter
a password at an interactive prompt....

To avoid this (depending on how happy you are having your LF password
in plaintext in a file in your home directory) you can do this:

In your .bazaar directory, create a file authentication.conf  with an entry
for
the bzr tree you're working with, using this example as a template
(obviously,
adjust as needed):

[LSB Master]
host=bzr.linuxfoundation.org
path=/lsb
user=mats
password=XXXXXXX

You can leave out the password part and it will still prompt you for that
but accept the user (basically it's the same as doing the username@
part that Jeff refers to later).

The entry tag (LSB Master in the example) doesn't have any specific
meaning, you can pick whatever you like.

The syntax provides for specifying the connection/authentication method
also, so in theory it should be possible to add

scheme=https+urllib

to the above stanza and cut down on a little more typing, but there are
some tricks in how that's interpreted and it didn't work for me.  Just
mentioning in case someone wants to experiment.