[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2011 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Craig.Scott at csiro.au Craig.Scott at csiro.au
Thu Feb 17 15:07:13 PST 2011

Okay, I'll bite, but with a request for opinions first. ;)

After recent discussions here on the lsb-discuss mailing list, I can't help but wonder if there would be some value in bringing the LSB spec up to OpenGL version 2.1 (from its current version 1.3). I imagine that this would involve working out the interfaces, defines, types, etc. that need to be added as a first step. From there, the process of how those things find their way into the LSB spec are a bit of a mystery to me.

What I'm wondering is whether a Google Summer of Code project might be an appropriate vehicle for this, or whether it would be too dry to attract any interest from students. If the whole process is too large for one project, perhaps at least some parts could be done. I'd be interested to hear from those on the list who might have a better idea of the magnitude of this task.

FWIW, we should be able to provide a mentor for the OpenGL-knowledge side of things, but not for the LSB-inner-workings side. A shared/tiered mentorship arrangement could be one option to consider.