[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2011 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Denis Silakov silakov at ispras.ru
Fri Feb 18 06:29:08 PST 2011

On 02/18/11 02:22, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll bite, but with a request for opinions first. ;)
>>
>> After recent discussions here on the lsb-discuss mailing list,
>> I can't help but wonder if there would be some value in
>> bringing the LSB spec up to OpenGL version 2.1 (from its
>> current version 1.3). I imagine that this would involve
>> working out the interfaces, defines, types, etc. that need to
>> be added as a first step. From there, the process of how those
>> things find their way into the LSB spec are a bit of a mystery to me.
>>
>> What I'm wondering is whether a Google Summer of Code project
>> might be an appropriate vehicle for this, or whether it would
>> be too dry to attract any interest from students. If the whole
>> process is too large for one project, perhaps at least some
>> parts could be done. I'd be interested to hear from those on
>> the list who might have a better idea of the magnitude of this task.
>>
>> FWIW, we should be able to provide a mentor for the
>> OpenGL-knowledge side of things, but not for the
>> LSB-inner-workings side. A shared/tiered mentorship
>> arrangement could be one option to consider.
>>
> I'm sure we could work the other half of it but...
>
> in answer to the question, I'm not convinced this is the
> sort of project that would motivate a young student.

Probably we could look for a student to this kind of job, but note that
GSOC is primarily for coding, while updating the spec looks like
documentation work. There is an explicit statement for this in the FAQ:

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#documentation

--
Regards,
Denis.