[lsb-discuss] Proposed extensions to filesystem layout: LSB as successor to FHS?

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Feb 21 12:32:52 PST 2011

On 02/17/2011 04:50 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The LSB incorporates the FHS by reference, but the FHS seems to be dormant
> as far as bugfixes to the standard are concerned.  A ping to the FHS mailing
> list last July elicited some responses directing me to the LSB working group
> instead.  Does this working group consider itself empowered to make changes
> to the FHS?

Yes, we do.  We're still in the process of figuring out what that means,
though, so there hasn't been any progress on actually making changes to it.

> As a first step towards standardization, we're trying to address the fact
> that there exists no reliable one-to-one mapping between ABI-incompatible
> library stacks and standard names on the filesystem.  I'd like to present
> this WG with a draft proposal to address this:
>
>    http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Tuples
>
> Would there be any interest within the LSB WG in picking this up as a
> cross-vendor standard?

I think there is interest (I'm interested, at any rate).

It seems we have two problems here.  One: does implementing such a
proposal violate the FHS as currently written?  Two: can the people
behind this proposal get some wider buy-in, and can the LSB/FHS help
with that?

By my reading of the FHS, there is no reason why Debian's multiarch spec
would violate the FHS by itself, as long as the original spec continues
to be followed.  Practically speaking, this would mean that a system
fully converted to the multiarch spec would maintain symlinks in /lib to
libc, and the dynamic linker would continue to recognize libraries
installed into bare /lib and /usr/lib.  (I'm assuming that the dynamic
linker itself would stay where it is.)

As for advocacy, we're a bit conservative about pushing our own ideas
around; we've been accused of shoving standards down people's throats a
few too many times (justly or no).  OTOH, if the other major distros
weren't opposed to the idea, we wouldn't mind helping to clear away
roadblocks.

It would be interesting to gauge the reaction of the other distros on
the distributions list (distributions at lists.freedesktop.org).  A quick
search doesn't seem to turn up any previous discussions.