[lsb-discuss] readlink

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Feb 23 07:53:52 PST 2011

On 02/18/2011 08:54 AM, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> and readlink-the-command comes from GNU coreutils, which is
> GPLv3 licensed - something which seems to scare certain
> people to death (presumably because they can't TIVO-ize their
> products) so I believe it would be pretty hard to include as
> mandatory in LSB... at least until alternate sources exist
> (I've heard in the Mac world there is such a thing, but since
> I don't play around there I don't really know)

On Linux distributions, a number of our requirements come from GNU
coreutils.  I see id, split, yes, and uniq on just a quick scan.

This seems to indicate that there are alternatives to GNU coreutils for
readlink:

http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/freebsd/man1/readlink.1.html

I think it's worth considering, at least.