[lsb-discuss] Init Script Example

Stew Benedict stewb at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Feb 23 09:13:15 PST 2011

On 02/23/2011 10:25 AM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Stew Benedict <stewb at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It is still apache specific, as that's the main purpose for the script
>>>
>> What page contains a link to the example script? Couldn't find it at
>> http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_4.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptfunc.html
>>

>>> at this time. Stopping a running process, as well as reload seem to be
>>> someone dependent on the system, as well as the daemon itself.
>>>
>> Isn't the point of LSB to abstract from the system?
>>
>> It might depend on the daemon, but IMO there should be a recommended approach.
>>
> Stew?
>

> relea
Sorry. Perhaps I miscommunicated. My intent wasn't to provide a generic
example that becomes part of the spec. That would be a bigger issue,
involving either making it's way into the next LSB release or some sort
or errratum to the spec. As things stand now, I don't think we much in
the way of examples as part of the specification. My intent was only to
make the one thing we *do* have that approximates a vendor neutral
example (the init script in lsb-apache) a more complete example, which I
did.

A bug can certainly be opened to include a "pure" generic example as
part of the spec, although in practice, at least from testing the apache
one, a certain amount of cross platform testing is probably still needed
to go from generic to functional across several distributions. With
alternate init systems coming online now, there may be new issues too.

--
Stew Benedict
Linux Foundation