[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2011 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 00:11:19 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <hintak.leung at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Till Kamppeter
>> <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
>>> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2011:
>>>
>>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011
>>>
>>> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. If you have
>>> problems mail me with your project idea.
>>
>> For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/
>>
>>  Luis
>
> Seeing as a few of the mac80211-based wireless drivers (for some of
> the more dumb/basic/cheap devices) has gained access-point(AP)-mode
> support code in the kernel recently in the last few months, it would
> probably be appropriate to add (if it isn't already there) or enhance
> access-point-mode support in some of the user-land tools like
> NetworkManager, nm-applet, or wireless assistant?

The dbus / supplicant stuff was done in GSoC 2009, see:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009/Add_AP_Support_to_Network_Manager

Patches were sent to Jouni and IIRC the dbus stuff was the last stuff
being figured out. So IIRC this was just a matter of userspace
catchup. If we need that then sure, Dan?

  Luis