[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2011 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Hin-Tak Leung hintak.leung at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:52:17 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <hintak.leung at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:
>>>
>>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/
>>>
>>>  Luis
>>
>> Seeing as a few of the mac80211-based wireless drivers (for some of
>> the more dumb/basic/cheap devices) has gained access-point(AP)-mode
>> support code in the kernel recently in the last few months, it would
>> probably be appropriate to add (if it isn't already there) or enhance
>> access-point-mode support in some of the user-land tools like
>> NetworkManager, nm-applet, or wireless assistant?
>
> The dbus / supplicant stuff was done in GSoC 2009, see:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009/Add_AP_Support_to_Network_Manager
>
> Patches were sent to Jouni and IIRC the dbus stuff was the last stuff
> being figured out. So IIRC this was just a matter of userspace
> catchup. If we need that then sure, Dan?
>
>  Luis

Oh, so long ago :-). (GSoC 2009 would be  over a little over a year
ago). Somebody can write a user-friendly GUI wizard to do a
wireless-wired bridge i.e. plus netfilter nat/masquerading config?
Does hostapd has a dbus interface i.e. can it be invoked by the
console owner on-the-fly? It does not seem to - would that be
useful/do-able as a student project?