[lsb-discuss] Inclusion of makedev() and related functions

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Sat Jan 1 06:43:55 PST 2011

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> Hi all. Has there been any recent discussion around including
> the makedev() macro and its associated functions in LSB?

not recent, no.

I don't remember what the reason was for exclusion,
but there used to be a tendency to leave out gnu-specifc
functions (in case somebody wanted to look at an LSB
system with a libc that wasn't glibc, probably a fiction
at this point) and overly Linux specific ones - which
I think major/minor/makedev are not, I think they're BSD-isms.

I'm digging in glibc sources and not seeing these
inlines - must just be missing, can you share?