[lsb-discuss] getmaxx, getmaxy and getmaxyx

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Jan 5 13:48:01 PST 2011

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> The inclusion of getmaxyx but not getmaxx or getmaxy in the
> LSB seems a bit odd. I know it's only one package's (one
> person's?) view, but see this link:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=11648#c24417
>
> CMake builds on a very wide variety of unix/linux platforms
> and they claim that they don't run into problems with using
> getmaxx or getmaxy. This suggests these macros are in common
> use, so I'm wondering why they haven't yet found their way
> into the LSB, especially since the related macro getmaxyx has.

it's simply because these did not appear in the POSIX
version of curses, even though the relevant spec page notes:

"Traditional implementations have often defined the following
macros"

getbegx, getbegy, getmaxx, getmaxy, getparx, getpary

"Although getbegyx(), getmaxyx() and getparyx() provide the
required functionality, this does not preclude applications
from defining these macros for their own use."