[lsb-discuss] Init Script Example

Olaf van der Spek olafvdspek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 05:46:00 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Wichmann, Mats D
<mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:
>> http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_4.0.0/LSB-Core-generic
> /LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptfunc.html
>>> init script functions and requirements are listed. However, I didn't
>>> find an example script. Would it be possible to include a link to an
>>> example / skeleton script?
>>>
>>> The provided functions seem a bit low-level. Maybe the example script
>>> would indicate what higher-level functions might be useful.
>>
>> Somebody?
>> Is this the wrong list for this kind of question?
>
> it's the right list
>
> don't know - what were you looking for?

1. A skeleton LSB compliant init script that one can base it's own scripts on.
2. This (not yet available) script is probably too long, so a better
API for such scripts would be helpful.

Code duplication should be avoided, so the skeleton should be simple.

For a simple daemon, the input could be:
NAME=lighttpd
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/lighttpd
DAEMON_OPTS="-f /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf"

Ideally the boilerplate required would be just a few lines, instead of
the current 100+ lines.

--
Olaf