[lsb-discuss] No separate /usr anymore?

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Jul 11 10:32:36 PDT 2011

On 07/11/2011 12:59 PM, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> many users/sysadmins are alarmed by the messages of the systemd init
> as systemd does complain that /usr as a separate partition isn't
> supported anymore[1,2,3,4].
>
> The real reason seems not related to systemd nor to sysvinit but
> to udev[5] which does not support a separate /usr anymore.  The
> background seems to be that there is no check for utilities belonging
> to the /usr partition.  As the udev utility is a major part of most
> modern distribution today and moving all required tools from /usr to
> / will become /usr useless as this may require also moving a lot of
> libraries and other binaries (e.g. for resolving the dependencies
> for the tools and libraries for bluetooth support).
>
> Now the question rises if LSB/FHS will be changed at this point?

 From the perspective of the LSB, how the filesystem is laid out is an
implementation detail, and thus not really our concern.

 From a FHS perspective, we've discussed this to some degree.  We're
working on a new version of the FHS, but this particular issue is not on
our list of deliverables for that release.  We'll probably need to
resolve the situation at some point, but this release is aimed at
dealing with the backlog of issues that have built up in the time since
the last release.

If you'd like to talk about it further, we maintain a separate list for
the FHS.  See here: