[lsb-discuss] Qt stuff from conf call minutes 2011-07-27

Craig.Scott at csiro.au Craig.Scott at csiro.au
Wed Jul 27 16:17:23 PDT 2011

Hi guys, just giving some feedback on the list of Qt libraries shown in the last conf call minutes. From that list, here are the libs that are not currently in LSB:

libQt3Support.so
libQtCLucene.so
libQtDBus.so
libQtDeclarative.so
libQtDesignerComponents.so
libQtDesigner.so
libQtHelp.so
libQtMultimedia.so
libQtScript.so
libQtScriptTools.so
libQtTest.so
libQtWebKit.so
libQtXmlPatterns.so

Some of these are not suitable for inclusion in LSB while others are strong candidates. Here's some comments I'd make about them:

libQt3Support.so - given that LSB is looking to remove support for Qt3, this library should probably not be added now (I'm surprised it wasn't in the LSB before though).

libQtCLucene.so - needed by another Qt library I'd recommend adding, so likely will need to be added (see libQtHelp.so below)

libQtDBus.so - long overdue for inclusion, but needs main DBus library to be added to LSB first. If DBus lib gets added, I'd strongly recommend libQtDBus.so gets added as well.

libQtDeclarative.so - still too fluid and undergoing change, so I'd recommend not adding this one just yet.

libQtDesignerComponents.so, libQtDesigner.so - both of these are mature libraries and should be good candidates for inclusion. The latter is likely to be more widely used (it allows dynamic loading of UI's, whereas the former is for adding functionality to the Qt Designer tool).

libQtHelp.so - mature, should have been in LSB already by now in my view. Requires libQtCLucene to be added also.

libQtMultimedia.so - This library has some chance of being dropped from Qt, so I'd recommend not adding it to the LSB for now.

libQtScriptTools.so, libQtScript.so - As much as it pains me to say this (because we use the latter lib heavily in our own code), it looks like Qt5 is going to switch to a different scripting engine and the API is likely to change, so it might be prudent for LSB not to include these scripting libs for now.

libQtTest.so - mature, also overdue for inclusion in the LSB. Things have continued to be added in Qt 4.4, 4.6 ad 4.7, but you can pick whichever Qt version is being targeted and only include the interfaces from that version. This is a relatively small module so it shouldn't be too onerous to add. Encouraging devs to make more widespread use of it would be beneficial. ;)

libQtWebKit.so - Again, as much as I'd like to see this added for selfish reasons, it would need careful consideration before adding this. Qt are about to uplift to a more recent WebKit in either Qt 4.8 or 5.0 and I can't comment on the API stability of WebKit itself. It is quite possible that the interfaces in libQtWebKit.so will remain stable, in which case it would be great to see this added to LSB. I suspect, however, that there may be some kinks in getting this one nailed down for inclusion in LSB. Adding this requires at least Qt 4.4. Also note that in order to build this module, you have to patch a number of files to make the build LSB compliant. I've documented those in the Qt bug tracker and also reported the issues upstream to the webkit bug tracker, but there were too many hoops for me to jump through to follow through and get the changes incorporated into the official webkit repo.

libQtXmlPatterns.so - I can't really comment on this one since I'm less familiar with it. I'm not aware of anything major going on with this module, but others may have a more informed opinion. Note that there may be other things that this module depends on which would factor into a decision of whether or not to add this to the LSB.

As a final note, it would seem that Qt 4.4 is a minimum requirement for a number of these, but I believe an uplift to 4.4 is already on the cards for the LSB?