[lsb-discuss] Time-based release for LSB 5.0 (sorta)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Jun 7 10:03:13 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Jeff Licquia <jeff at licquia.org> wrote:

> Thoughts?

When would I not have thoughts?  :)

 I think you mostly teased out the issues, so I'll just restate a point in
my own terms.  LSB, although it involves lots of software, isn't really
like a software release; all the software supports the specification.
The specification describes the state of a set of features available to
software developers, and if that state isn't advanced by making a release,
then there's no point in making the release. For most software projects,
there's some value to getting out the work that's been done so people
can make use of it, even if there are features you wanted that aren't
ready.   So I will never favor really calling a release time-based: "we
got very little done, but we're releasing that as LSB 5.0 anyway".

But you said "sorta" - and it's all about priorities; we need to be clear
on what /must/ be in the next LSB, or not even bother releasing it,
and the rest can be on a "if we got to it in time" basis if you like.
Then you can build the plan around that.