[lsb-discuss] Updates to 4.0

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Jun 7 19:48:20 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM, <Craig.Scott at csiro.au> wrote:

> In the minutes from the meeting on 1st June, there is this statement:
> "Question remains whether we do another 4.0 update after this one, since
> 4.1 is out and we usually try to "maintain" only the latest released plus
> the one we're developing for."
> I'm curious what this means in practice. Wearing my ISV cap, I would want
> to build against the oldest LSB version that provides the features my
> software needs. This gives it the widest possible set of distributions it
> should run on. Does the above statement apply to distributions, or does it
> also apply to things like bugfixes to the SDK? I would have expected that if
> any problems were identified in the SDK which would affect people building
> with a LSB 4.0 target version, then these problems should still get fixed.

The SDK is considered "version independent" - sometimes you might see it
referred to as VIP (... packages).  So the answer is, bugs actually part of
the SDK get fixed no matter what the version, since the SDK intends to apply
to all versions.  The issue is mainly the test suites and the spec, which
are quite version-dependent... if there's a bugfix identified in
lsb-test-core, it wouldn't necessarily be backported to the 3.2 branch - or
as this question suggests, the 4.0 branch; likewise, a problem in the spec
would be applied in the in-development branch, plus to the most recent
release as an erratum, but those same changes wouldn't be generated through
for 3.0/3.1/3.2/4.0.