[lsb-discuss] Building Qt as LSB-compliant

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Jun 13 06:58:40 PDT 2011

On 06/06/2011 09:12 PM, Craig.Scott at csiro.au wrote:
> It would seem worthwhile for Qt and LSB people to have discussions about what could be done to include DBus in the LSB, to then also enable the QtDBus module to be added to the LSB and also to allow the QtDBus module to be built with the LSB compilers. How could we go about doing this? Note that LSB people are currently discussing what should go into the LSB 5.0 spec, so it might be the right time to have these discussions, given that there is also a parallel discussion around Qt5 binary issues on this list.

FWIW, we consider D-Bus to be a high priority for the next version of
the LSB.  We're still in the planning stages for LSB 5.0 at this stage,
but I would be surprised if D-Bus support didn't go in.

We're also talking about a more aggressive plan regarding updates to
core components of the LSB, including Qt 4.  We'll keep an eye on Qt 5;
distro adoption will likely be the controlling factor there.

As a short-term fix, Qt could be statically linked with D-Bus, or the
D-Bus libraries could be shipped with the Qt libraries.  I understand
that neither of these options is very good, but they are there.