[lsb-discuss] LSB depends on upstream-unmaintained Qt 3

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Mar 2 13:05:53 PST 2011

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at Ubuntu there came up a discussion now about moving Qt 3 from the
> commercially supported (by Canonical) Main section to the unsupported
> Universe section, pulling also the LSB compatibility package "lsb"
> down to Universe. This would mean that a standard installation or an
> installation of a support customer of Canonical (these
> installations do
> not have Universe in their set of package download sources)
> would not be
> able to install commercial applications provides as LSB packages and
> also not automatically downloaded printer driver packages from
> OpenPrinting. The former is mainly an issue for the enterprise
> user with
> Canonical support and the latter for the "works
> out-of-the-box" desktop
> experience.
>
> I understand that the Ubuntu developer community and also Canonical do
> not want to support a complex GUI library package which is not
> maintained upstream. But now the problem occurs. Other distros will
> perhaps also think like Canonical and get rid of the load of
> maintaining Qt3 and with that drop the LSB.
>
> How should we go on with the LSB when it produces with every version a
> bigger and bigger ballast of old libraries and packages which distros
> have to include and maintain while appropriate upstreams drop
> maintaining this old stuff?

Any time upstream drops the package, the same consideration should be
made in LSB, which in fact has been done ("consideration"), see here:

http://dev.linuxfoundation.org/navicator/browse/module.php

It is shown as deprecated since 3.2.

Unfortunately, some politics got in the way, as a removal-after-deprecation
policy was written, then the versioning policy which it depended on was
thrown out the window.

I've proposed that Qt3 be dropped for the next version, whatever
that may be; we've also got a pending but to ask how mandatory it
really is despite being marked mandatory.

In the end we want to move slowly enough that apps don't break, but
not so slowly it causes problems for distributions.