[lsb-discuss] GCC plugin versus lsbcc wrapper

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri May 6 07:19:24 PDT 2011

Craig.Scott at csiro.au wrote:
> Is it worth considering adding a facility to lsbcc and lsbc++
> to report back usage statistics to the LF to give a better
> idea of how much the LSB SDK things are being used?
> more accurate picture of what people are (or are not) doing with
> the LSB SDK. I get the impression that it's a bit of a guess
> at the moment. Nothing beats having some hard data.
> Even as an ISV, I'd find this sort of information pretty
> interesting. It would give us an idea of how many other ISV's
> are potentially targeting the LSB.

I guess it's a pretty sticky area.

Love to have usage information.

At one point, the main download page was put behind a "registered
user" wall by LF, who wanted to collect download statistics this
way - exactly for the purpose of knowing at least how many people
grabbed the stuff, even if it didn't say who was actually using.
It wasn't really popular; one more barrier to getting things wasn't
beneficial.

Really don't want to comment further except some people *really*
object to having data collected even if you say it's anonymous...