[lsb-discuss] App checker as proof of LSB compliance?

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Thu Nov 10 11:27:31 UTC 2011

The web page about the LSB app checker is still down, so I need to
ask: is the App Checker suitable as proof of LSB compliance?

My employers have a vendor who supplies us with a software component
in binary form. Although this goes into a non-LSB-compliant application,
We would like the component to be LSB-compliant. There's no obvious
reason why it should not be, and it means one less thing to check
when we need to support another Linux.

The vendor would like to use the App Checker as proof of LSB compliance,
rather than re-doing their build system to use LSBCC. Is this valid,
and what sort of caveats should be applied, and what sort of warnings
should be considered disqualifications?

While I produce LSB-compliant libraries, I do it via LSBCC, and don't
routinely use the App Checker. And it seems impossible to download it
at present to try it out.

thanks,

--
John Dallman