[lsb-discuss] App checker as proof of LSB compliance?

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Thu Nov 10 13:25:21 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 06:27 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> The web page about the LSB app checker is still down,

sucks, yes. But I for one am happy that we at least have the list back,
finally.

> so I need to
> ask: is the App Checker suitable as proof of LSB compliance?

Yes, more below.

> My employers have a vendor who supplies us with a software component
> in binary form. Although this goes into a non-LSB-compliant application,
> We would like the component to be LSB-compliant. There's no obvious
> reason why it should not be, and it means one less thing to check
> when we need to support another Linux.
>
> The vendor would like to use the App Checker as proof of LSB compliance,
> rather than re-doing their build system to use LSBCC. Is this valid,

Yes, it is. Appchecker will list all issues w.r.t. LSB. It will also
produce a list of distributions where this code will run, i.e. ABI
compatibility is achieved.

> and what sort of caveats should be applied, and what sort of warnings
> should be considered disqualifications?

If not building with lsbcc they will definitely get messages about the
loader, these can safely be ignored. Other issues reported by app
checker need to be evaluated individually.

HTH,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com