[lsb-discuss] App checker as proof of LSB compliance?

Denis Silakov dsilakov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:26:22 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 11:27 AM, Dallman, John wrote:
> The vendor would like to use the App Checker as proof of LSB compliance,
> rather than re-doing their build system to use LSBCC. Is this valid,
> and what sort of caveats should be applied, and what sort of warnings
> should be considered disqualifications?
Yes, this is valid. Finally, using App Checker is the official way to
apply application for LSB certification.

Though note that App Checker only performs static checks and cannot
catch all possible incompatibilities; LSBCC probably gives more
guarantees. For example, if application uses non-LSB constants (e.g.,
passes such a constant as a parameter value for some LSB function) then
App Checker won't detect this, while LSBCC will simply prohibit their usage.

Also note that Lsbcc allows to avoid some LSB incompatibilities which
are hard to be eliminated using original build environment. For example,
gcc can automatically decide to use arithmetic routines like '__divdi'
which are not included in LSB. The only way known to me to avoid them is
to build with lbgcc_s which doesn't provide such symbols.

As for AppChecker warnings, it's hard to recall all of them. Probably
it's better to try the tool and come with concrete questions, if any.

--
Regards,
Denis.