[lsb-discuss] request for meeting topic addition -- 'getting started in the LSB project'

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri Apr 13 16:26:32 UTC 2012

Hi Russ,

I work for Epson and involved in printing for mobile devices. Your
example statement below, that a local printer will never be attached,
needs a little elaboration and I believe my comments below can be
applied to your general (and very important) concern of a mobile (more
specifically, small foot-print device - a phone versus an iPad) solution
or, specifically, a LSB mobile definition.

A local printer may actually be attached by Bluetooth or other
non-networked wireless protocol.  It could even a USB connector or
docking station for local printing.   So the question is no so much
about a connected local printer but about mobile device printing in
general.

What I believe what is of more a concern to a general Mobile LSB
definition is what features are needed.  While printing is never the
first features one thinks about for a mobile solution, it is often
needed in the second generation of a mobile solution.  [This is based on
experience with many of today's existing mobile solutions.]   So, I
believe an LSB:Mobile-Print is needed; but what is critical is what is
the definition of the LSB:Mobile-Print.  As part of the LF/OpenPrinting
Project I am currently working on Common Mobile Print Client trying to
address this concern.  Since we would not want to burden a mobile device
with hundreds of "printer drivers" we "might" define LSB:Mobile-Print to
only support networking or cloud printing to smart printer (printer that
do not require a host print driver).   We would be stating that the
LSB:Mobile-Print does not support local printing.  Nothing wrong with
that but still provide print functionality.  Mobile device support may
further imply that the LSB:Mobile-Print does not use CUPS (too large);
but, instead, uses some other, simpler print model.

I believe an LSB:Mobile is important and the first step is determination
of the LSB:Mobile features (not the scope of the individual features)
needed.   Then the scope of individual features is defined.  [It would
be nice-to-have artifact if the mobile implementation and definitions
are a subset of the nominal LSB.  This will not always be true.]

[Another example, the LSB-Scan is not just used for desktop scanners but
for film scanner, flatbed scanner, frame grabber, handheld scanner,
multi-function peripheral, sheet fed scanner, still camera, video camera
and virtual devices.  So if any of devices are important to generic LSB
mobile solutions; then there needs to be a LSB:Mobile-Scan.]

glen