[lsb-discuss] Can we find a fit for LSB and Mobile?

Ted Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Apr 17 19:14:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:47:56PM -0600, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> On mobile, Ted mentions Meego... to be pedantic, the effort to do something
> that leveraged LSB learnings was actually for its predecessor, Moblin.

Oops, sorry, you're quite right.  I had forgotten about the change in
emphasis when the project morphed from Moblin to Meego.

> Meego proposed a stack-based
> approach that you could look sideways at and convince yourself was a little
> bit closer to how Android approaches the topic (use the stack as is).

My understanding is that the Android NDK does provide a filtered set
of header files that contain the interfaces which are guaranteed to
remain stable over time.  So in that sense it borrows some of the
approach of the LSB, but of course there is no strong formal
specification or application portability scanner to test for the use
of interfaces beyond what is guaranteed to be stable.  (And of course,
the NDK doesn't use glibc for the C library.)

> There is a binary portability model in consideration for Tizen but
> unfortunately
> at the moment I'm not in a position to say anything more about it.  Within
> the latter two of those three efforts there are major variants that have
> very
> interesting constraints, such as In-Vehicle usage, and even there potential
> divergences (IVI for cars is not likely to be identical to IVI for yachts
> :).
>
> So even from my limited perspective, "mobile" is a very complex topic.

Yes, indeed; it's like saying, "LSB for embedded".  You have to
specify which embedded ecosystem you are talking about before such a
phrase makes sense.

						- Ted