[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2012: 14 good applications but only 12 slots

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:52:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

for now I have marked the following applications as accepted (not a
ranking):

  1. libjtapi by Daniel Dressler
  2. PDF manipulation tools, with special focus on printing needs by
     Tobias Hoffmann
  3. OpenPrinting web site: Enhancements for printer and driver
     administration, in depth security review by Jannes Jeising
  4. Update LSB OLVER Core Test Suite by Roman Zybin
  5. Add Dynamic Tests to the Linux Application Checker by Flid
  6. Redesign LSB Navigator to be more independent from particular DBMS
     by Elena Egorova
  7. Implement a Lightweight Data Race Detector for Linux Kernel Modules
     on x86 by Nikita Komarov
  8. Formalization of Correct Usage of Kernel Core API by Denis
  9. Advanced Source Code Instrumentation for the Linux Driver
     Verification Project by Evgeny Novikov
10. Formalization of Correct Usage of Kernel Core API by Misha
11. writable snapshot support for ext4 snapshot
     by Yongqiang Yang
12. Compat-vga for the Linux kernel by Ozan Çağlayan
13. KMSCON: A DRM based terminal emulator by David Herrmann
14. Implement device profiles for Btrfs filesystem by Ilya Dryomov

We have only 12 slots (if we do not get additional ones from orgs who
return slots) and therefore we have to reject two of these applications.
So I want to ask you to find an agreement on whom not to take.

Note that it is possible that a students have submitted more than one
application and their other application(s) got also accepted. In this
case the students we are deselecting now can drop back in. So let us
deselect the students with the lowest priority for us but do not tell it
to the students because the final decision is only made after duplicate
resolution.

Some remarks:

As I did all the work of organizing the GSoC for the Linux Foundation
(and I am payed 100% by Canonical now) I would like to keep the three
slots which I have occupied for OpenPrinting (1-3).

8 and 10 are two applications for the same project idea. Perhaps here
one student should be selected instead of dividing up the project
between the two.

    Till