[lsb-discuss] DBus for LSB scoping research

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Wed Apr 18 14:56:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've have some preliminary results for DBus integration.

libdbus has 333 interfaces marked as GLOBAL, all of these appear to be
fair game for ISVs. There's no ranking in order of importance. However,
I have received somewhat mixed signal on whether or not we should
concentrate on libdbus at all. From my point of view I do not see how we
can claim that LSB supports DBus if we do not include these 333 interfaces.

In addition to the interfaces in libdbus we need to specify 2 commands,
dbus-send and dbus-daemon.

Last but not least the type system and protocol need to be specified.
For these DBus already has great documentation
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html that we can
simply pull into the LSB.

Open questions at this point are whether or not there exists "static"
documentation for the DBus 1.4 interfaces, and what tests exist.

As far as documentation is concerned, the current state is documented
here: http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/ This doc also appears to
be sufficient for LSB. We might have to extract the doc for the
interfaces that are part of LSB, as the documentation also contains
deprecated interfaces and private interfaces taht  should nob be part of
the LSB. The doc is generated with Doxygen, thus we should be able to
manipulate this as needed.

I have more research to do w.r.t. existing tests.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com