[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2012: 14 good applications but only 12 slots

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:29:13 UTC 2012

We got an additional slot which another org has returned. So (9) is in
now in any case, even if our two duplicates will get hosted by us.

What about the two duplicates? Any decision?

Note to the other org admins: To get the decision registered in the GSoC
web up. set the "Accept proposal" switch to "No" in the student's
application at the org where the student will NOT go.

If you have difficulties to decide (or in general), let the student
decide what he prefers. Ask him a question like:

"You have applied for the projects A and B, if you had been accepted for
both, which would you prefer to work on?"

Ask either by e-mail or put a public comment into each of the student's
applications (he will get the question more than once then, but this way
there is no biasing).

    Till

On 04/18/2012 08:20 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> So I am back for the next step:
>
> Two of the students which we have agreed on to accept have also applied
> at other organizations and got accepted there, too.
>
> The two proposals are:
>
> 11. writable snapshot support for ext4 snapshot
> by Yongqiang Yang
> 13. KMSCON: A DRM based terminal emulator by David Herrmann
>
> Both got also accepted by OpenSUSE, perhaps even with the same proposal.
> And David Herrmann got accepted by BlueZ in addition.
>
> So what should we do here? We have two student proposals on the "waiting
> list" for which we can use the slots if one of the mentioned students
> decides for the other org:
>
> 9. Advanced Source Code Instrumentation for the Linux Driver
> Verification Project by Evgeny Novikov
> 10. Formalization of Correct Usage of Kernel Core API by Misha
>
> How should we proceed? Who of (9) and (10) has priority when only one of
> (11) and (13) will leave us.
>
> Till
>
> On 04/18/2012 09:57 AM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> We have solved the problem for now.
>>
>> If we do not get extra slots and have no student dropping out because he
>> takes an offer at another org, we take out (9) and (10). They were
>> considered optional by Alexey.
>>
>> So we are all set for now.
>>
>> Till
>>
>> On 04/17/2012 10:52 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> for now I have marked the following applications as accepted (not a
>>> ranking):
>>>
>>> 1. libjtapi by Daniel Dressler
>>> 2. PDF manipulation tools, with special focus on printing needs by
>>> Tobias Hoffmann
>>> 3. OpenPrinting web site: Enhancements for printer and driver
>>> administration, in depth security review by Jannes Jeising
>>> 4. Update LSB OLVER Core Test Suite by Roman Zybin
>>> 5. Add Dynamic Tests to the Linux Application Checker by Flid