[lsb-discuss] .note.ABI-tag extension for Android

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Apr 20 12:36:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Thiago Jung Bauermann <
thiago.bauermann at linaro.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm discussing with Google engineers about adding a .note.ABI-tag to
> Android binaries, and extending the note format to allow identifying an
> Android application.
>
> I'd like to ask for comments about my proposed extension before
> implementing and deploying it. Since the only formal definition I found
> of the .note.ABI-tag is in LSB, I suppose this is the right place to
> discuss this?

In this case, LSB's intent is more to document existing practice than be the
place such definitions are worked out.  However, it's a decent starting
place. There's a Google Group for ABI discussions that should be worth
bringing in -  generic-abi at googlegroups.com.    It's been quiet there
recently.

On the surface, there doesn't seem much problem; .note sections are all
by definition flexible in their intent since they're not necessary to the
execution of a program. The LSB description is more explicit in its
assumption of what word 1-3 in the descriptor are - the information in
elf.h just says "major (or minor, or subminor) version of the ABI".
I hope the LSB interpretation of "version of the ABI" == "the earliest
compatible kernel version" is in fact how this is interpreted in practice
(I should probably go look up any historical data on how this wording
was arrived at, but...)