[lsb-discuss] .note.ABI-tag extension for Android

Thiago Jung Bauermann thiago.bauermann at linaro.org
Fri Apr 20 23:41:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 06:36 -0600, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Thiago Jung Bauermann
> <thiago.bauermann at linaro.org> wrote:
>         Hello,
>
>         I'm discussing with Google engineers about adding
>         a .note.ABI-tag to
>         Android binaries, and extending the note format to allow
>         identifying an
>         Android application.
>
>         I'd like to ask for comments about my proposed extension
>         before
>         implementing and deploying it. Since the only formal
>         definition I found
>         of the .note.ABI-tag is in LSB, I suppose this is the right
>         place to
>         discuss this?
>

> In this case, LSB's intent is more to document existing practice than
> be the
> place such definitions are worked out.  However, it's a decent
> starting
> place. There's a Google Group for ABI discussions that should be worth
> bringing in -  generic-abi at googlegroups.com.    It's been quiet there
> recently.

.note.ABI-tag is not part of the SysV ABI so this would be off-topic
there. I ended up sending this message to the binutils mailing list.
Probably everybody who subscribes to generic-abi also subscribe to it
anyway.

> On the surface, there doesn't seem much problem; .note sections are
> all
> by definition flexible in their intent since they're not necessary to
> the
> execution of a program.

Right. My only fear is someone later saying "if it wasn't for this
stupid Android hack we could have extended the note in this really
clever way". :-)

--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann