[lsb-discuss] Question on App Checker

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Aug 13 19:54:56 UTC 2012

On 08/13/2012 03:39 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
> I began testing SANE via the Linux Application Checker.
>
> Officially, it is the abstraction SANE Dynamic Link Library that is
> target for LSB 5.0 incorporation.   The results of AppChecker showed
> only a couple of minor issue which I will discuss in a later email.

I may be pointing out something you already know, but in case not:
libraries referenced in the LSB are not themselves limited by the LSB.
They only have to export the ABI the LSB expects.

So, we expect that actual implementations of libsane.so.1 will call all
kinds of "illegal" things (from the LSB's point of view) and do weird
system-specific stuff.

> My concern of this mail note is that when I ran App Checker against the
> SANE test application there a lot more identified issues.
>
> I am under the impression that all App Checker issues "should" be
> resolved but do they have to resolved for the Library only or do they
> have to be resolved for the test application also (and any other
> supplied software applications)?

If the SANE test application is intended to be part of the Application
Battery, then yes, it should pass the App Checker completely.  At this
stage, though, that's more of a goal for the release.

Otherwise, it would depend on the app and what failed.  It could include
other non-SANE-related interfaces that aren't appropriate, for example.

Ideally, none of those failures would be tied to the SANE libraries
themselves.  If they are, then we have some potential issues that should
be treated as bugs.

Can you post the journal for the check?  That will tell us more about
what might be wrong.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org